In my earlier posts you have read about my study group and
heard about the exploits of some of my stream mates on the cricket field. In my
final blog piece on this subject i.e. “Inside the Classroom” i want to
introduce you to everyone else in my stream (i.e. Stream A)

Beyond just the effort on my part, it would be uninteresting
for you to hear me rant about 80 students. Thus I am making a humble attempt in
classifying my stream mates into 4 groups – Brainiacs, Stalwarts,
Socialites
and In-betweeners.

• BrainiacsRightfully as the name suggests these are the intellectual
    wizards who advance classroom discussion with their thought-provoking and
    insightful contributions. Some of them volunteer their time and expertise in
    conducting tutorials (on quantitative subjects such as Economics, Finance and
    Accounting) while the others conduct career panels and interview prep. Sessions.

Key traits – humble, self-less and intellectual

• Stalwarts – If Braniancs are the mavericks inside the classroom then Stalwarts are the mavericks outside it. This bunch craves competitions (rowing, soccer, consulting case-study, marketing strategy etc.). Their accomplishments exemplify the diversity of talent at London Business School.

Key traits – passionate, action-oriented and winners

• Socialites –  They plug the gaps in a student’s life at B-School. After all there is more to B-school life than countless cases and incessant job-search. Give them an excuse to party or plan an escapade out of London and they will be your bosom buddies :) The social crew in my stream are debonair party planners – birthday’s, stream socials aka dinners/BBQs, weekend trips to Italy, France, Holland etc., you name it and they will make it happen!

Key traits – outspoken, gregarious and humorous

• In-betweeners - Indeed this is a quirky bunch – late to class if not absent from class :) It’s hard to typecast these people as their moods and behaviors oscillate across the continuum between Braniacs and Socialites. They show flashes of brilliance across the board and are driven more by challenging the norm than following the herd.

Key traits – unconventional, idiosyncratic
and witty

Winners of the “Study Group Love” Awards (Stream A) – Thanks to the Stream A Social crew!

Seb, Tat, Stas, Balazs (Jeff and I are on the certificate :))

38259_10100143205262326_2501052_55858895_7001739_n

3 Responses to “Inside the classroom – 3 / 3”

1. avatar Soumya Siddhartha Mohanty says:

Looks like it is one helluva experience at LBS. I am looking forward to making an application to the London Business School for the Class that kicks off in 2011. Would be great to hear from you, and for any pointers that you feel may help me make the cut with a Scholarship. I think you would identify with the mystique surrounding the LBS application, especially for someone from India. :) Meanwhile, hope the juggernaut keeps rolling!

2. avatar Shrutisagar says:

Have you ever bumped into anyone who managed to straddle two or more of these categories consistently – a super (wo) man of sorts or in other words an in-betweener on steroids? Sounds like a great place to be though!

P.S: How would you classify yourself?

3. avatar Saurabh says:

Hi Sanjeev,

Before coming to the point I would like to introduce and tell you about my profile because it is very much needed for me to know where I actually stand at this present moment. I am working professional in IT firm (IBM India Pvt. Ltd. as my first job) with having a 1 year of total work exp out of which 2 months of international experience in Portsmouth, UK. I have Cumulative GPA of 6.92/10 or you may say 69.2%age in academics. And moreover I have got 760 score in GMAT. My school (10th and 12th standard) percentage is around 82%.

So the point is,
    *How much is the chance for an IT consultant (project work in Energy field ‘SSE,UK’) to get an admission in 2 years full time MBA in LBS with having only 2 years of Work exp. (Exp would probably go upto 2 years as I will start applying and follow the whole procedure of admission) ?
    *And how much is the profile matters as well as International exposure matters ?
    **And which matters the most:’MBA related firm or profile like banking,etc’ OR ‘non-MBA related firm or profile like IT, etc but with having a good international exposure (soon I may get) and a good work record’.

Looking forward for a quick reply,

Thanks,
    Saurabh.