The workload for our core courses has ramped up several gears, speaking of which I have three assignments due in for 8:15am tomorrow morning… Before coming to business school I felt pretty comfortable with my time management skills (watch my wife roll her eyes whenever I mention a ‘to-do’ list!) but already I’m having to work out new strategies for making the most of any spare half hour or so I find. And with mid-terms only a week away I expect the coming week might be the busiest so far…

To get through the workload you have to rely on your study group. Study groups are put together by the programme office and are made up of 6 or 7 first-year MBA students. The group’s members have a mix of backgrounds and experience, the idea being that someone in the group will probably have some prior knowledge for almost all the group assignments your given. This gives each of us a responsibility at some point to step up and put on our teacher hat.

My turn came this week. Putting ourselves in the shoes of Airbus management back in 2001 we were tasked with having to work-out whether or not Airbus should go ahead with developing the A3XX. I was pleasantly surprised to find how relevant my background in accounting was for this task as we began to wade through depreciation tax shields, capitalisation, working capital adjustments and so on.

Away from the work, many of the clubs on campus have been busy recruiting students to join their committees over the last few weeks. The process usually involves a written application (which brings back memories of writing application essays!) and/or an interview with some of the existing committee members. The number of club events each week still surprises me, and as I mentioned in my blog on ‘FOMO’ the biggest problem is working out which to attend!

7 Responses to “The work load is picking up!”

1. avatar Vaughn says:

Hi Allen,

Was just surfing the LBS website and couldn’t find somewhere to email my question – so thought I might pop it here.

I am from Australia, and looking to do a “Business School Holiday” next year and visit America/Europe to look at a number of school.

Just wondering what the best time of the year would be to visit LBS ?

Regards,
    Vaughn.

• avatar Allen says:

Hi Vaughn,

Great question. I’d strongly recommend you look to visit campus during a weekday in term time so you get a feel for the day-to-day atmosphere. While you’re here it would also make sense to try and attend one of the information evenings on campus and/or one of the Monday or Friday afternoon drop-in sessions (see http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/informationevents.html for details).

If you’re looking to apply in round one it would probably make sense to try and visit before school breaks for the summer. As an FYI classes will begin during the second week of January and run until 11 June, with a two week break during the weeks of 21 and 28 March.

Feel free to send through any other questions you might have.

Thanks,

Allen

2. avatar Anushree says:

Hi Allen,
    Thanks for this post! I was looking all over the internet to find some information about the study groups and clubs. Your post was very helpful.
    Had a question about the clubs. What does the Active Startup Club do? As a committee member, is one responsible for arranging seminar and talks for the clubs?

Regards,
    Anushree

3. avatar Mayur Gandhi says:

well, i m interested to join MBA so, i need some advice from senior students in general MBA from LBS, which books for MBA lecturers advice to read in strategy & Operations & Crisis mgmt…plz email me in mayur_17_gandhi@yahoo.com,…. plz help me

4. Wow! You know what? I’ve been really looking for weblogs of this topic and I’m glad that I found yours. This will be a great help for me. Thanks a lot :)

5. avatar Kshitij says:

Hi Allen,

I am a computer engineer based out of India and am applying to LBS this year. Your post was very helpful in context of my application procedure.

An insightful post indeed. Thanks.

-Kshitij

6. avatar Juan Trujillo says:

Thank you for your post Allen! This information is very helpful for me as an applicant to LBS for this year!!