Wow time flies. It’s been a year since graduation – feels like it was yesterday when I was celebrating with my parents at the Windsor! (I can’t believe I actually took my parents to the Windsor – it’s the first English Pub that they have ever seen – talk about first impressions). So – what have I achieved in this last year? I have held 2 jobs, travelled to 8 countries, changed gyms (twice!), paid off 30% of my loan,  got married and sadly not been able to attend any LBS first-Friday drinks (is there a relation between the last 2 points?).

Work has been rewarding and frustrating at the same time. I am learning a lot of new skills – particularly around managing people and expectations (wish I had paid more attention to OB classes). I am also learning that real businesses tend to have bad or no data to aid marketing and strategic decisions. It was great to be all data driven at LBS, making pretty financial models and doing market research in the library. But here in the real world, it’s not so clear cut. I used to think that the cases we studied were vague in detail, but they were really good preparation for the vagueness in real world corporations. So – don’t complain and study those cases people.

Thanks to my new Smartphone (not an iphone – but a dual core high speed Samsung), I now spend my morning commute reading my old lecture notes from LBS. It is amazing how much of that makes so much more sense now. The first-year strategy slides have been great at helping me put a structured perspective on problems I’m facing at work. Besides, reading these slides is a great mental warm-up for the day ahead :-)

I have struggled to keep in touch with class mates. Some of my classmates work hard at this and ensure they invite everyone to drinks every month (first Fridays). But with work and with being recently married, I’m struggling to find time for socializing. I do meet some classmates for lunch almost once a month (I work in the City and fortunately so do many other LBS folk). Also, living in St. John’s Wood I frequently run into classmates on the tube and at local restaurants/cafes. It’s a good thing that many LBS folk love to continue living close to school!

It’s been an interesting year with its share of challenges and victories. Here’s to another great year ahead.

4 Responses to “It’s been a year since graduation!”

1. avatar Manikanth says:

Hi Vipul,

I am Manikanth from India, Hyderabad. I recently gave my GMAT and got 730 (Q51, V38). I have 4 yrs of IT exp in Oracle India on Oracle Financials ERP.

I am interested in an MBA from LBS. I am actually looking for good strategy role in IT. I am financially very poor and can’t afford all of the fees on my own. I started working in my 7th class to support my education and was working till my MCA, which I did from NITK. What are my chances in LBS? Is it worth going to LBS for IT people who want to pursue a career in Strategy and product management? Do we have on campus jobs, as Teaching assistantships or Research Assistant ships? How are the chances of getting a funding or scholarship?
    Do we have TAs and RAs in European schools similar to those in US schools?

Your suggestions would be very valuable.

Thanks,
    Manikanth.

2. avatar annabel says:

Hi Vipul,

My name is Annabel and I currently work in City. I am interested in a MBA course in LBS, but I do not want to give up my current job to do this course. Is it possible to do both? I found on the website saying MBA course offers evening classes, do you think I can do the evening classes and then work during the day?

Thank you very much for your reply.

3. avatar Ankit says:

Hi Vipul,

This is Ankit from Singapore. I am interested in joining the LBS MBA program and was wondering if you could help me a bit and answer few of my queries. I recently gave my GMAT and got 720 and have been working for past two years with Credit Suisse AG in Product Control. Would appreciate if you could drop me a line at ankitgupta.88@gmail.com so that I can send you my queries (only a few). Thanks.

Rgds,
    Ankit

4. avatar adarsh says:

hi Vipul,
    this is Adarsh from India. i am pursuing my Mba and i am a little confused between opting for either FINANCE OR MARKETING…. could u Plz suggest SOMETHING Abt it… also what are my chanes of securing a job in my choosen area of specialisatION