avatar

Time travels

Posted by: Harpreet

At the end of my first two weeks at LBS, I am confused about the speed of time here. In a sense it has just zoomed across; in one blink the first two weeks are already over. On the other hand, so much has happened over the past few days, it is hard to believe that its only been just a couple of weeks.

I won’t kill any of the surprises that you can cherish once you are here. But I must point out a few things that have fascinated me in this short time frame, about the school and also the city. So the three things that have stood out about the school for me:

1. The institution’s capability to manage efficiently and effectively: From the power-packed orientation to our classes, from the famous away day to the club kick-offs, from career services events to complex simulations, everything is organized fantastically by the school. The prior arrangements for each thing happening over here seems to happen pretty much magically. As students, we never get to see any hassles, any panic situations. But the fact that each single thing is such super smooth, it is hard to not to appreciate the brilliance of the school staff. These guys definitely know a thing or two about management, and I will be happy to learn from them :)
  2. The thought that goes into designing each single activity: If the school thinks a student must learn a specific management principle, they go to any limits in making sure that the learnings are deep and long lasting. So that has resulted in exciting group simulations, physical team activities, interesting games, range of intelligently selected case studies, provoking class discussions, etc. etc. One can easily see the amount of thought and effort the faculty puts in here to make sure the lessons don’t remain words but become an integral part of our decision making forever.
  3. Diversity: I know you have heard it over and over again. Even at the risk of you stopping to read this post right away, I have to mention this. It does not get any diverse than this, period! There is no dominant nationality. I have friends now from Israel, Mali, Nigeria, Pakistan, South Africa, Venezuela, Portugal, and many many more countries (of course including States and UK :) ). Professions? From serial entrepreneurs to professional sportsmen to armymen to tech geeks to large businessmen to social entrepreneurs to media guys to the regular bankers and consultants, and everything in between. The breadth and depth of class discussions here is enriching and inspiring. If you want to learn to work in a multi-cultural environment, it seriously does not get better than this.

Apart from these serious things, there is ample amount of fun as well (on most times, much more than optimum :P ). In the next post I will try to capture that and also, what all  is making me fall in love with this great city called London.

There is so much to write and so much to share; the only challenge is time. It does travel. At what speed, I am still confused :)

One Response to “Time travels”

1. avatar Raju says:

Hello Harpeet,
    This is Raju from India. I am interested in applying for the MBA programme at LBS. I am currently working for JP Morgan as a tech analyst for Hedge Fund Services having an experience of 2years and ongoing. Would you be able to give some advice regarding the requirements etc?

Would appreciate any word of advice. Please let me know if we could discuss it here or please drop in a mail to dvsjraju@gmail.com.

Thanks