Times are still tough for Financial Services. People on my course nervously check their blackberries, wondering if their roles are at risk. My own employer slashed 950 jobs in a country with population of 4mln last week, with my own role relocating back to London (FYI I moved out of London due to visa problems in January this year). I am happy of course – it will be the grand finale of my commuting, but for some this can be nerve-crashing and depressing. Many however admit, that being at the LBS and having access to its career services helps the medicine go down.

LBS career services transform even a small fish into an interview shark every big name recruiter would kill for, no matter if you are interested or not. The team has done it so many times that it’s obvious that they got their recipe right. So what’s on offer for the MiFs?

- Peer Leadership Programme aka PLP, runs all year round. Here second year MBAs from our dream jobs (which can be nothing else but PE/IB/AM or for the outside of the box dudes – consulting), informally look at your CV (“did your granny write this?”), CL (“do you really think being interested in soap operas gives you an edge?”) and advise on your seduction approach (“fuchsia is indeed a nice colour, but not for your three piece suit”). What I found most useful was the insight on the corporate culture of your dream employer, knowledge of which makes your application shine.

- Networking workshop – 3.5 hours of intensive training focused on increasing the likelihood of you being remembered and liked (added on LinkedIn), arousing genuine interest of people around you and key (LBS exclusive and very secret) skills on how to stand out or the crowd, including exercising with weights to make your smile last longer, practicing handshake specific for your career choice, effective elevator speech in parallel with 3 other people and, of cause, memory training oriented on memorizing 50+ phone numbers from the first attempt. (just joking, haven’t been to the session yet – its on Nov 5th)

- Guidance on how to write a CV, a CL, define your unique selling proposition and survive assessment centers. These are so thorough, that you will have to dedicate a full working week (think IB working hours) to ensure all the little (but very important) component are included. This is quite a dangerous exercise as it makes you fall in love with your CV so much, that you start quoting it to your friends and end up sending a copy to the Man Booker Prize competition.

- Finance one-to-one with Roger H. 30 minutes of coaching from a crème de la crème of the industry. Could be done over the phone. Having mine on the 10th, aaaaah…

- And finally there is Career Portal, where you can see job adds from all over the world (!!!). Tastes do differ but the portal caters for all shapes and sizes, with many positions looking specifically for LBS folk, without postings outside of the Portal. It also stores all the previous presentations made in the school, provides advice on visas (who needs those?) and supports you in negotiating your offer.

7 Responses to “Career services – no luck required”

1. avatar Alan says:

Amazing. And to think that I will be joining LBS one of this fine days.

2. avatar Phil Walker says:

Great post. Really sheds light on the LBS value-add. Which component do you find most valuable?

• avatar Inna Leontenkova says:

Hi Phil!
      I really strongly believe in PLP sessions – they are more informal and give insight on the students’ level, if you know what i mean. Really enjoyed chatting to James O’Gara about PE.

The networking session was also fun and the take-aways easily aplied – but that was a one-off, hope our Career Services will organise more soon.

Hope this helps,

Inna

3. A great post. I’m really pleased that the University careers service at LBS are doing such a wide variety of support options for students. All the areas covered in the blog post are actually what people who have been working for a while and are now finding themselves out of a job need the most.
    The CV writing part is a staple of any careers service but I really like the focus on the networking side (elevator pitches are so important) which is crucial. There is an interesting stat that 80% of vacancies are never advertised so to tap into the jobs available a lot of it will come down to networking opportunities.

4. I have recently started a web site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.
    Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Excellent. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.

5. I am MBA student and my dissertation topic is employment opportunities of MBAs. According to Financial Times 96 % of 2011 graduates from LBS MiM got a job in 3 months after graduations (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/288d383c-2596-11e1-9c76-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1jXE3Syo7). This is very optimistic.

P.S.
    By the way, you all are welcome to participate in my research survey about employer preference of MBAs https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/employer_choice