avatar

Why LBS is unique

Posted by: Alexis
Comments Off

To tell you the truth, it took me a while to get used to the idea that I am officially part of the MiM2012 class and member of the London Business School community! Five weeks have passed since 144 “strangers” crossed the gate of LBS for the first time. One month later, I can say that, despite the little sleep and the really busy day to day schedule,  the overall experience is far beyond what I expected. Learning from the world’s top faculty is certainly one element but also I really appreciate sharing the experiences of an amazingly diverse group of peers, building friendships, having fun, developing my personality and improving my character…

And because first impressions always count, I will mention just a tiny example back from our first week. In  my eyes this experience was sufficient enough to show me that, above all, the Spirit of this School is what makes it the best in the world…

On day two of Orientation the whole MiM class went to Berkshire where we had an amazing “Away Day” experience. A day in the countryside, full of unusual and exhilarating intellectual and physical group activities. Quite a few of them proved to be quite challenging for some of us. We really struggled to overcome certain challenges and in some cases personal mistakes caused team failure. Observing the reactions of your peers in such frustrating moments is a good way to measure the character of the people surrounding you. And the way we collaborated and behaved working in groups showed to me that some characteristics are really prerequisites for success: Being a good person, willing to help your peers, being motivated by the common goal and that’s how everyone is going to be inspired in the end.

The rigorous admissions process that we all went through last year resulted, beyond doubt, in the selection of some of the most talented young people from all over the world. Reading for the first time the resumes of my fellow MiMs, made me feel really lucky to be part of that class… However, the main lesson I learnt is that LBS is so unique because it possesses a key characteristic that you seldom find in other top-tier Business Schools: It doesn’t just want to recruit “geniuses” for the sake of it… It wants to build diverse groups of talented and broad-minded people with great potential and good character. And that’s what I keep finding out through endless examples those first weeks of my LBS life…