When I first heard about the Masters in Management program, it was pitched to me as a very practical program or a program where you can pick up a lot of practical knowledge.  Whilst I had one definition of what it could be, I still wondered what a practical program exactly is.

1.)  Courses: We had four courses last semester and they were very, you guessed it, practical. So we actually performed regression analysis, identified personality biases and debugged financial statements. Yet the common factor, which makes such practice useful, is that we do these as part of solving a bigger problem. This not only makes the learning enjoyable but also helps us better understand real world applications of these skills.

2.)  Clubs: The clubs are an awesome resource to learn how things really work out there. The biggest learning comes from the exceptional MBA students who are more than willing to mentor and pamper you. I’m part of the Impact Consulting club that gives me amazing opportunities to work with strategy consultants and learn how things work in their world while also nurturing my interest in the development sector. I get to learn a lot about dealing with clients and problem solving. Almost every MiM student is involved with one club or the other and the skills they pick up serve them well beyond the job hunt.

3.)  Others: There are still so many other opportunities to pick up skills you’ll use in a work environment. Business Immersion Week, Career Week and the Exchange programs offer plenty of opportunities to not only learn how things work but also get your hands dirty through workshops conducted by the participating companies.  You can also take up numerous roles of responsibility such as that of an Academic Representative or a member of the Business Connections Committee which provide you with a wide variety of management skills. Besides these, Career Services is always working to setup interactions with people working in the sectors of your interest and these interactions provide you with the inside scoop, the kind you don’t get in classrooms.

That’s a practical program.

6 Responses to “What’s a Practical Program?”

1. avatar Ama says:

hey! I wanted to go for MiM prog at LBS . I am an undergrad from Delhi College of Engineering without any full time work exp. My dilemma is how will this program help me land a job in london during these difficult times and how much credibility will it hold in India. I am interested in the education sector and would like to work in a consulting firm or with organisations such as the UN.
    looking forward to your reply..
    thank you.

2. avatar Ishan Vishnoi says:

Hey Prateik, I have recently got an admit to the MiM program at LBS. I have a few queries so I was just hoping that maybe I could ask you to clear them out. Please let me know if this is fine with you. You can reach me at +91 9535898131/ishanvishnoi@gmail.com

Thanks a lot..
    Ishan

• avatar Aashima says:

Hey Ishan,

Congratulations on getting an admit! You applied to the MiM program for which deadline? Could you please tell me what was the time lag between your interview date and the date you received your admission offer?

Thanks
      Aashima

3. avatar Ankit Seraphim says:

That’s quite an informative round-up Prateik!!
    Keep up the good work!!

4. avatar priti patidar says:

hello dear i am frm india i just want to knw k do uk provide mba of different time duration for different colleges..i got a call for ealing hammersmith west london college fr the mba 1 yr in which the duration for study in c ollege is of 8 months nd rest 4 month r for the research work,,cn i knw such kind of courses is true,,i knw my country dnt knw anything abt the uk,,cn u guide me for dis,
    my id preety.patidar@yahoo.in

5. avatar Wózki widłowe says:

Masters in Management course is very practical but i think that one course is not enought. You must have a years of expirence in this kind of work. Management is not for everyone. If you cant manage your own time you cant be a manager.