avatar

Geeking Out, Business School Style

Posted by: kasia_s
Comments Off

We MiMs have been bouncing along at a blistering pace though the first month of 2012. Personal highlights include an interview at the WPP and  a chat with a former Sony CEO at the Market Club’s “Gaming and Marketing: What’s the Score” talk. Other neat additions to the MiM calendar included sign-ups for the Africa Trek and Japan Trek, the Cranfield Sports Tournament, as well as the announcement of a new exclusive exchange trek to Stockholm.

Forty LBS MiM students were selected to go on a reciprocal exchange to either the Stockholm School of Economics or IE Madrid. I was one of the lucky few selected to visit SSE in February – looking forward to combing my interest in marketing with the neat Swedish innovation hubs at SSE. I’m not sure they are ready for the combined energy of 20 MiMs invading the serene Scandinavian city.

Next week I’m off to M&C Saatchi (advertising), Universal Music, and Google for our annual Business Immersion Week. I’m hoping to learn about the blend of technology, advertising and marketing in the digital age, and to pick up some great contacts. Other visits include the London Stock Exchange, Disney, LandRover, and Canon. We get to put our newfound knowledge to the test next Friday in a one-day competition judged by Dean Sir Andrew.

Finally, I’ve been burning the candle at both ends with our new Finance, Macroeconomics, and Marketing classes. Fair warning to other potential marketers: learn to love Excel. The MiM programme, like all of the major marketing players, is a strong believer in quantitative-based creative marketing, so advanced Excel and SPSS modelling are involved in all of your work (including mock campaigns). Luckily, I’m gaining enough EXP. to work my way up to EXCEL WIZARD status.

Geeking out,

Kasia