Mr. Jan W., a risk analyst from CQS, who was interviewing me for the MiF admissions, did not expect to be asked why for every girl on the course there’re as many as 9 guys. He only said that he’d absolutely love to have the proportion levered up a bit…

The most universally accepted answers that people throw at you in situations like that are “gender inequality”, “glass ceiling”, unbearable hardness of “juggling commitments” with “family obligations”, all of which are usually followed by the respondent pulling on a condescending mask of grave pity. Why this version of truth and attitude haven’t become extinct yet is beyond my understanding – its not the 50’s anymore in most corners of our society. Take me, for example. My life is not hard, my life is wonderful; I am not juggling – I am finding time to do things I enjoy; I don’t have family obligations – I have people I love and care about the most in the world; I am not committed for life – I make my own choices, take pleasure in keeping busy and climbing up the Maslow pyramid.

Is my case ordinary? The only child, I was originally meant to be a boy called Ivan. That didn’t quite work out for my parents, – they had to deal with a little curly me, …and repaint the nursery. Their aspirations, however, transitioned into my daddy teaching me to play a guitar, chess, drive a car age 5, etc. In Russia kids go to mixed schools and only learn about some sort of inequality by reading foreign magazines. Probably the aftermath of communist days, we are brought up to share everything in our lives – when my great-grandpa went to the WWII, my great-grandma was in Moscow working as an armed guard at a gun manufacturing factory, while my granny was less than 2 years old.

I will not be so ignorant as to say that the problem doesn’t exist. It does, and the gender proportion of the business school intakes falls under its umbrella, together with numerous other examples, which routinely feature in high-profile conferences, workshops and change initiatives. But constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating. Changing the public’s attitude is astronomically hard; while taking it one person at a time is stomachable.

So ladies, if you are even slightly considering applying to MiF, no matter your background, please remember that “inequality” is actually about “diversity”. There is no one-size-fits-all profile – you can read the details of LBS students on the website while I will shed light on the statistics that are left undisclosed by school’s official brochures – about our girl’s personal life and work. The best thing about doing the census was the unanimous “what gender inequality…?” response to me mentioning the topic of the post.

I am not a feminist. I would just like to see more of inspired and empowered ladies who are not being dramatic or paranoid, who step outside the comfort zone of clichés. Maybe we don’t rule the world, but we definitely make it go round.

Post Scriptum: My intake showed a more up-beat result – 3 girls for every 7 guys; and according to the MiF program office our course is exceptionally close, fun and overachieving (and not forgetting LBS MiF confirming its N1 World ranking this year). I hope the admissions levels are representative of the level of applications and this notion becomes a steady trend. Our exceptionally charismatic professor H. Moon taught us during one of the Org. Behavior classes that people perform better in co-educational environment . So for the business school guys the current situation is less performance enhancing than for the girls, isn’t it ;) ;)?

5 Responses to “MiF versus WiF”

1. avatar Jim says:

“they had to deal with a little curly me, …and repaint the nursery” … Lol… my parents had to do that too… they were expecting a gir(incl me) and here comes my bro !! So pink to blue-lol

Now to article, great article Inna, its all true facts and I agree with you. Keep on publishing worth reading articles like this.

2. avatar lucky guy says:

LBS MiF is #1 out of 3 schools only.
    http://rankings.ft.com/exportranking/masters-in-finance-post-experience-2011/pdf
    It looks like Ft created separate ranking to promote LBS better

The real ranking of MiF programs is this one, where HEC Paris has been number 1 for the last five years in a row.
    http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2011

Just my two cents:)

• avatar Inna Leontenkova says:

Dear Lucky Guy / Arturs Smilkstins!!

Thank you for your time researching this! Please do note that these are 2 different categories of programmes, with the one featuring HEC being PRE-experience (i.e. you would do it without prior employment in the sector to gain basic knowledge). While LBS is offering a POST-experience degree, where your application is not considered for admission unless you already have finance experience and can properly contribute to in-class conversations.

There are indeed not many universities that offer such specialised programmes to this category of students, but luckily there will be more soon. Please refer to my following post covering the matter – http://blog.students.london.edu/2012/04/to-infinity-and-beyond/

Hope you find this helpful, and hope you enjoyed your studies at HEC ;)

Thanks again!

inna

3. avatar Christy says:

Inna, you are clearly bright and have got great thoughts. Would you ever consider guest blogging for http://www.elexu.com ? We are always trying to empower people and perhaps you can share with out community more about ways you’ve raised awareness about equality or empowerment. Email me if you’re interested. Thanks! Christy

4. avatar Eric Graf Monaco says:

Dear Ms. Leotenkova,
    I have had a cartoon caption which depicts a little fish turning in 3 dorrections with big fish waiting to eat it. Underneath the llittle fish it states:Decisions usually involves risk:
    I have a MA from Johns Hopkins SAIS and an MBA from Toronto. My daughter wants to go to LBS after her competion from McGill in Canada. Is it possible to addres some questions to obtain your personal assesment and experience at LBS.Even though I spent 9 years in university my baisc operating philosopy is that: Whatever can be learned in life cannot be taught in a classroo.
    Your reply is appreciated. Sincerely Eric Graf Monaco,