Only a few days ago, all 52 of us sat ensconced in our comfort zones trying to reach out to our to-be classmates, somewhat reticently, on linked-in. Then in January, we all crashed into each other… 51 strangers privy to our dreams and fears, exposed to our lacunas and party to our strengths. Its probably the most naked most of us have ever felt!

But there was another person lurking in the shadows of LT10 (lecture theatre 10). I would catch a glimpse at times, but couldn’t put a name to her face. Oddly familiar…strangely new! The more I was made to introspect, the more familiar this person became. Somewhere in the middle of week 5, I befriended her. I had crashed into myself!

In my hurry-sickness of yesteryears, an almost terminal condition (curable by Sloan I am told!), I had never really gotten the time to sit back and figure out the ‘WHO, WHAT and HOW’ that defined brand ‘me’.

After a few cold Windsor beers on Thursdays, you can often hear a Sloan fellow marvel at ‘how well he/she has gotten to know the 51 others, so soon’. But if you close your eyes real tight (ok I am being a girl here) you will be amazed at how well you are getting to know yourself.

I see my negatives and strive to turn them around. The stuff new age ideal leaders are made of – all in the new me! The Sloan will change me!

But the fact is that I am always a little late! (Personal Development Plan: better time management :()

My dream job, eulogy, timeline…and all the ‘soft’ stuff most investment bankers and consultants hate…reeks of me! So is the challenge really to ‘change’ myself… or is the Sloan really about ‘celebrating’ myself? Strengthen my strengths or weaken my weaknesses?

(Carrie Bradshaw would probably end with that open-ended question!)

I am inclined to work on my strengths. Everyday, the 51others help me find my strengths (and the elusive chalice of leadership :)). I grow in their tall shadow… And celebrate each moment at Sloan 2012.

Yes, the Sloan will ‘celebrate’ me!

My co-author (Lee-Ann) is a strong as nails Colonel (well most of the times!). I crashed into her before I came to London. The electronic media brought us together and we have already built memories together in London that will last a lifetime… Go Colonel…

Read about Lee-Ann’s Sloan journey so far.

10 Responses to “THE CRASH OF 2012 – We came to the Sloan to change!”

1. avatar Manu Duggal says:

Lee-Ann & Ritu,

Great thoughts! Keep up the excellent effort. Our best wishes with you.

LOL!

2. avatar arun says:

need a word of advice please.
    assuming that an individual is eligible for both a MBA and sloan school of leadership masters in leadership which one would you recommend to a veteran who has no exposure to the corporate world??

3. avatar Shivali says:

Dear Ritu,

Simply love the way you express your thoughts, and emotions, if i may add.

I am looking forward to being part of the next batch (2013), and wanted to get in touch to know more about things. Would it be ok if I asked you to write to me, so we can connect on the mail?

Appreciate your time.

Best wishes,

Shivali

4. avatar Sheena Seth says:

Don’t know how I missed this earlier, just caught up with it … wow what a person to discover “myself” – you should hold a workshop for the rest of us when you come in next.

5. avatar Sameer K says:

Hi Ritu!
    I am planning to apply for the class of 2014. I work for the public sector and have no corporate experience. Am looking at a career transition after arming myself at LBS. is it possible for you to spare some time and address some of my lingering doubts?
    Will appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Sameer

6. avatar Arun Kumar Tak says:

Hi Ritu Ji,
    Hpy new year in advance,
    I am working with PSU in India presently, I have wor experience of 10 years and more, I want to know which programme is best suited for me? please guide me,
    I want full residential MBA programme coz i am already pursuing Executive MBA from Faculty Of Management Studies, delhi.
    What are the placements after completing the programme?
    Thx for sparing your valuable time,
    Regards,
    A K Tak

7. avatar Arun Kumar Tak says:

Hi Ritu Ji,
    Hpy new year in advance,
    I am working with PSU in India presently, I have work experience of 10 years and more, I want to know which programme is best suited for me? please guide me,
    Thx for sparing your valuable time,
    Regards,
    A K Tak

8. avatar Arun Kumar Tak says:

Hi Ritu Ji,
    I hope u recieve my mail,
    What time slot is free so that i can ask my queries???
    Thx,
    Arun Kr Tak