avatar

All work and no play make Jack a dull boy…

Posted by: Mihir
Comments Off

… says the wise old (clichéd) proverb; “but he sure will get the best grade/job along the way” counters the new-age student.  So where does one draw the line and perfect that elusive ‘work-life balance’?

My MiM life is divided into three key components. First, there’s the Academics – course module lectures, seminars, assignments and the personal development program. Career comes next with job applications, interview preparation, company presentations and skill building workshops. Finally I have my Social life; the things I do to fill the time between the former two which would include participating in clubs and societies, sports, hobbies, parties, events and meals with friends.

I don’t need to emphasise the importance of Academics. It’s the main focus of your time here interspersed with following your career goals and next steps after LBS. So with these 2 taking up the bulk of your time and energy, where does it leave the Social aspect?

What I find best about my time so far is that LBS has recognised that we are, after all, human with the innate need to have our share of time away from the ‘grind’. The sundowners are one such example of the university promoting students to mix business with pleasure and mingle with one another. The clubs and societies have also been fantastic opportunities for me to pursue my personal interests outside the core curriculum. There’s no minimum requirement to get involved, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to meet like-minded and yet diverse individuals from different streams and courses.

The simple fact that we have elected social leaders to represent our class to organise events, parties and trips is a testimony to the University’s encouragement to develop outside the classroom as well as inside it. Our weekly MiM bulletins highlight the best places to check out in London – a city with no dearth of locations for idle excursions.

So my ideology? I’m here at London Business School to take in all that I can in my year. So far, it has been a treasure trove of opportunities to gain knowledge and invaluable career advice, but I’m going to make sure that I enjoy the whole package. I’m looking forward to treks to places I have never visited, the annual LBS Tattoo and summer ball,  Diwali & Christmas party (after a superb Halloween event) and making sure that I get a taste of some of the best restaurants in the world that are scattered throughout the city.

So I’ll end with another cliché, “It’s not the destination, but the journey that matters most”.