avatar

An Amalgamation of Countries, Culture and Community

Posted by: Mihir
Comments Off

Adam Douglas wasn’t joking when he said the ‘answer to Life, the Universe and Everything’ was 42 because that is exactly the number of nationalities represented in MiM2013 and it has been a blast.

Diversity is an integral part of the school’s values and nothing defines it better than our class of 162 bright minds. For a travel enthusiast such as myself, it has been an exhilarating opportunity to meet and get to know my peers – almost like travelling to 42 nations at once! I have learnt greetings in 10 different languages and you can always find a multi-lingual group of students trying to master each other’s native tongues. But it doesn’t stop there.

The MiM community is truly passionate to share their stories and backgrounds and equally eager to listen to those of others. I am undergoing a synaesthesia of cultural knowledge while having the chance to experience cuisines, music, dance, film and traditions of various countries. In the past ten weeks I celebrated my first Halloween, mastered rudimentary salsa moves, enjoyed an authentic Turkish meal, discovered the significance of Guy Fawkes Day and helped partake in an incredible Thanksgiving dinner; all thanks to my bouillabaisse of global friends. (You know who you are!)

Sharing my own culture has been just as fun when we celebrated Diwali LBS style! As part of the festivities, we performed a choreographed Bollywood dance that was undoubtedly an unforgettable memory for all of us. I was fascinated to see that our team comprised of mostly non-Indians who were exceptionally willing to learn Hindi songs, adorn themselves with traditional Indian clothes and even brave the spicy dishes.

I don’t know what I will discover during the rest of the year, but I have my bucket list of nations I can’t wait to visit… and it’s growing each day!

MiM Diwali Dance Team