avatar

My first impressions

Posted by: Nav

The first day of school is always special and I was really excited on my first day as an Executive MBA (EMBA) student at London Business School. Heavy snow greeted the London and Dubai EMBA class, who had come together for the first day of the orientation week on a cold Sunday in January. The weather could not dampen the enthusiasm of the 130 students who had gathered in the Dining Hall for the welcome address – there was a buzz in the room with handshakes and enthusiastic introductions.

As the week progressed, I realised why London Business School was described as an ‘aah’ school by the Dean in his welcome address (‘aah’ being the standard reaction when you mention LBS as your alma mater!). You look around the class and every student is an Achiever– a mix of entrepreneurs, directors, VPs, project managers and students in various other leadership roles. I absolutely love the class debates where everyone has a different perspective on analysing a case study – viewpoints that are so different to mine that every lecture has been a great learning experience.

Another impression I have carried from the Orientation week is that the quality of teaching is absolutely fantastic – I really enjoyed the Leadership Skills course run by Dr. Margaret Ormiston and the Understanding General Management course run by Dr. Yiorgos Mylonadis. The teaching standards set in the first week are high and if all our professors are this good, then it will be a really enjoyable (and challenging!) 20 months.

3 Responses to “My first impressions”

1. avatar Mani says:

Hi Nav, your thoughts are similar to what we had when we embarked on our EMBA program in 2010! You will find this to be a wonderful and rewarding experience! Wishing you all the very best!

2. avatar Mahendra says:

Hello Nav
    I am a engineering student now.So So I can say that I have to wait for such feeling until I will not complete my B.tech .But similar not same feelings were also with me when I joined my B.Tech Collage first day.

3. avatar Jithin says:

Nice article. Wish you all the best.
    I am looking to join for EMBA(September intake) and would like to take some tips/help from you regarding the preparation, admission procedures etc. Could you please help me?.
    I have 9 years of IT experience and currently working in one of the main Investment Bank in London.

Regards,
    Jithin