avatar

First Term: Recap

Posted by: Ugo

MBA Term 1 is done! Yes! <insert victory fist pump here>.  I should say “Mission Accomplished!”, but then I remember this

0013rdth

Thoughts on Term 1

• It was tough, tougher than I expected. I had the sense that I was always running: from lectures to study group meetings to tutorials to career services events to one or two social events. It seemed like there was no time to come up for air. The one time that hit really hard was taking 4 mid-term exams over a weekend (Saturday and Sunday!), and then having to show up for lectures the following Monday! At 8.15am!

• After my final Term 1 paper on December 15, it felt like a huge weight had been taken off. But then I had gotten so used to running that I felt lost when I realised there was no next event to run to!

• In Econ, we learnt about consumers’ Willingness to Pay (WTP) as a consideration in pricing. I’m coining my acronym for what I think is one of the best things about LBS: WTH (that’s Willingness to Help). Super thankful for the great group of very helpful people in this community – the students (study groups, tutors, etc), faculty, Programme Office, Career Services etc who’ve been great at explaining stuff and answering questions. You literally cannot walk the MBA path on your own.

• Another excellent thing about LBS – the diversity of the LBS MBA class. It’s amazing and makes for… a richer experience! Using my study group of 7 as an example of this diversity: we have 2 people from Europe (Spain Catalonia & Netherlands), one from Latin America (Brazil), one from Asia (Malaysia), one from Australia, one from North America (USA) and myself from Africa (Nigeria). If that isn’t diversity, I don’t know what it is…

• In all, Term 1 was like a pilot – I learned a lot about myself and the programme. Looking forward to engaging Term 2 equipped with better understanding.

• In conclusion, happy holidays, everyone! And to those at Val Thorens, bon faire du ski!

On a lighter note… things we heard in class…

• “An unlucky camel is one that gets eaten by a polar bear in the desert.”
  • (Pointing to a picture of Real Madrid star, Cristiano Ronaldo)… “Now, Ronaldo is listed on Real Madrid’s books as an intangible asset, but as we all can see, he is very tangible…”

2 Responses to “First Term: Recap”

1. avatar Sid says:

hi Ugo,

Nice post – I wanted some information on the application process at LBS (beyond what we see on the LBS website) – is there an email id where I can email regarding that?