How can I start a company that is going to be the next Google? Is it even possible for a normal person like me to do such a thing?

For me personally, no. Well now it might be, but if I asked myself these questions 3 months ago I would have said definitely not. I mean, I wouldn’t even know where to start, where to get the money from or who I should work with. In fact, I just had a bunch of good business ideas and thought “I’m going to start a business” without having a clue what my strategy was, who my customers were or even how I planned on making money.

So what has changed in these last 3 months? The answer is Business School. Three months ago I accepted my offer to start my Masters at London Business School and it really has changed the way I think. I mean, I didn’t even know what the Time Value of Money was. I literally thought if I sold my car and put the £5000 in a bank without touching it, that £5000 is still going to be £5000 in two years’ time when I buy new one. This isn’t actually true. In fact, when I got home after learning this I was like:

Surprised

For quite a while.

So I guess the question now is, should you go out and spend £28,000 per year (Masters) on business school fees to learn these important concepts? Well yes and no. If you can afford it, yes, I would highly recommend it – London Business School has been one of the best experiences of my life to date. If you can’t don’t worry. Over the next 6 months, I will be posting about every important concept I learn that I believe is essential in recognising how to become as successful as a Fortune 500 Business Leader. As long as you read all my blog posts, you will pretty much be learning everything I am, but saving yourself £28,000 per year . Stay tuned, follow me on social media and keep up to date with my blog.

Twitter: @umarahmed12

Instagram: @umarahmed122

Youtube: Coming Soon

Official Website: www.umarahmed.com

3 Responses to “#LifeAtBusiness School: Do I need to go to Business School?”

1. avatar Wika says:

Hi Umar,

I currently trying to finish my LBS MBA application, however before submitting the form, I need an assurance that the investment worth every penny because when you convert LBS tuition fee to Indonesia Rupiah (IDR), it would be IDR 1.2 billion or approximately 60 times of indonesian per capita income.

Anyway, when you said that just after three months LBS has somehow transformed the way you think, it reasures me, that LBS is definitely the best school for helping me achieve what I want to be. Thank you for that. However, I am hoping that you could elaborate more on how those 3 months of LBS experience has a tremendous impact on you in your next blog, because I believe it was more than the time value for money concept, like you just said.

And I hope you can also describe your experience in finishing the application so that you can be accepted by the admission team in the MBA program. I believe by knowing your experience could help me fill in the gap of my application process. Thank you

• avatar Umar Ahmed says:

Hi Satwika,

You might find my latest article titled ‘Do I need to do an MBA’ of some use. In terms of sharing what I have learned in the last few months, I will be posting an article every few days, but you can reach out to me on Twitter/Instagram and I will be happy to answer any specific questions you have before then.

Umar

2. I’ve heard many successful stories of people who have studied in Business School. Personally, I think education is a big investment and Business School is worth every penny. I cannot afford it though, but if I had the chance I would have done it! Being a successful entrepreneur requires knowledge and skills and the right school can help you gain them! I’ll definitely follow your blog.