I decided to write this post to reflect on the tremendous amount of opportunities I have been a part of since I started the MiF program 9 months ago. More specifically, I’d like to share with you my experience at LBS this past week alone.

Granted, the quality of the MiF program is top-notch (as ranked #1 by the Financial Times for a consecutive of years). What truly amazes me is the diversity and inclusion at LBS – the people, the cultures, and the opportunities.

Practitioner Courses (Monday & Wednesday)

In addition to the core courses and the elective courses, LBS students have the options to take practitioner courses, which are courses run by experienced industry practitioners. Starting this week, I have two weekly practitioner courses in my calendar: Advanced Financial Modeling and Social Entrepreneurship.

The Advanced Financial Modeling course teaches the mechanics of financial modeling and equips students with the tools to perform various and practical financial structuring and modeling tasks as done in most investment banks.

The Social Entrepreneurship course aims to provide students a comprehensive introduction to the field of social entrepreneurship, and to identify the opportunities and challenges of a career in social entrepreneurship.

These are two very distinctive courses; one is more technical and the other is more entrepreneurial. As I am currently working on two part-time projects, one for a financial advisory firm and the other for a not-for-profit organization, I find these practitioner courses especially valuable.

Sundowners (Thursday)

The LBS Sundowners happen every Thursday evening, from 6:45pm to 8:30pm. Faculty, students and alumni gather at The Nash lounge for free beer and wine. Since one of the 8 rules set by the Sundownders Crew is “What happens in the Nash stays in the Nash”, I won’t go into further details. Just know that Sundowners is probably one of the most beloved things for the LBS community.

TEDxLondon Business School (Thursday & Friday)

Something I genuinely enjoy doing is volunteering. Despite my schedules during Term 1 and 2 were mostly packed with classes and recruitment, I always try to find the time and opportunities to volunteer – such as teaching primary and secondary students business skills, fundraising for Toy Drive and conducting mock interviews for high school students.

This Thursday and Friday, I had the pleasure to volunteer for the annual TEDxLBS conference. On Thursday, the volunteers gathered at Royal Geographical Society to set up the venue, sort the 500 goodie bags and badges, and ensure everything is ready for the next day. Within five hours, we allocated over five thousands of goodies into five hundred bags for the attendees. Supply chain, time management, and manpower – all the hard work goes into the gift bags for tomorrow.
TEDxLBS

TEDxLBS is a whole-day event from 9:30 to 19:00, with 15 talks on a wide range of topics (finance, science, technology, art, music, Africa, and leadership). The theme of TEDxLBS 2015 is KALEIDOSCOPE: Kalos, Eidos, Skopeo (Beauty, Shape, Examine) – the observation of beautiful forms.

The volunteer team arrived at Royal Geographical Society by 7:15am on Friday. I was responsible for registration, sponsor booth and ushering. Although I missed half of the talks, I was very happy to see the audiences being inspired by the speakers. Through TEDxLBS, we gain the kaleidoscope to explore and reflect new colors and perspectives. 

If you missed the conference, don’t worry. The TEDxLBS videos will be available online in a couple of weeks!

LBS Hackathon Bootcamp (Saturday)

Hackathon

Having spent six years of my life living in Silicon Valley, I’ve always been interested in technology and innovation. The LBS Hackathon is a weekend long event where people passionate about entrepreneurship come together to create products from ideas. The actual LBS Hackathon is going to be held next weekend, but the Hackathon team is very thoughtful to organize a Bootcamp to get everyone prepared, technically and mentally.

During the one-day Bootcamp, participants from LBS and outside of LBS gathered to learn the multiple aspects of creating a startup. We had speakers and attendees who are entrepreneurs, scientists, lawyers, doctors and “business people”. From coding 101 to fundraising and legal, business model canvas to product design & MVP creation. The speakers particularly emphasize the importance and value of people. “Most of the startups fail not because of the product, but because of the people.”

I am impressed by how much I’ve learned within only one day. I can’t wait for the LBS Hackthon next weekend!

MBAT Volleyball Practice (Sunday)

One month after I joined LBS in August 2014, I met a few MBA2015 students who went to the MBAT in 2014. They all agreed that it was one of their best experiences at LBS. I therefore made sure that I don’t miss out on this special opportunity (the tickets were sold within seconds)!

“The MBA Tournament (MBAT) is the biggest and best inter-school sporting event of the modern ages.” It’s the annual sport tournaments where all the top business schools compete with each other on a physical level. “The illustrious House LBS has historically dominated this tournie of business school champions and we intend to continue to #OwnTheThrone!”​

As MBAT is approaching in two weeks, the LBS teams are practicing frequently and hard. On Sunday afternoon, after I visited Hampstead Village with my PEVC study group, I joined the Volleyball team at Regents Park for a practice session. We are incredibly excited to #OwnTheThrone for LBS at HEC Paris!

Here it is. A glimpse into a week of my life at LBS. I hope this article has provided you some new perspectives about the endless possibilities at London Business School.

Masters in Finance is more than finance.

4 Responses to “Masters in Finance is more than Finance”

1. I’m excited to be able to watch the TEDxLBS online. I heard that it was great, but was disappointed that I wasn’t able to make it. I’m excited to catch up!!

2. avatar jahid2015 says:

I am really very happy and excited to watch the TEDxLBS online

3. avatar uçak bileti says:

Thanks For İdeas

4. avatar Anne says:

I love watching TED talk.