Landing in London the night before the first day of orientation, I literally had no time to catch my breath before I was swept into the whirlwind that is London Business School! Walking into City hall amidst  a chattering, buzzing group of new LBS MiMs, I instantly felt like part of a community, with the most unbelievably diverse group of people I had ever been around. It wasn’t just the fact that we accounted for more than 50 nationalities, it was the languages, the experiences, the undergrad majors, the internships, the perspectives. Coupled with the fact that everyone was incredibly warm, curious, open, energetic, and just plain fun, I knew that this was going to be one of the best years of my life.

I quickly learnt the art of time management. It’s quite incredible, the number of activities one can sign up for on a daily basis. Class, club activities, recruiter events, case study sessions, parties, sundowners, and the general discovery of this wonderful city. It became clear however, that as alluring as they all were, I had to carefully plan my day so as to meet all my commitments. The result was a very populated calendar, but very fulfilling days.

And yeah, I must mention my study group. To provide some context, every MiM is assigned to a study group of about five or six people. Since we are given a plethora of group assignments, simulations and presentations, one ends up spending a lot of time with their study group. I simply loved mine. It’s amazing how it was never a competition, but always a collaboration; how motivated everyone was; how much you can learn from each other; how deep, enduring friendships develop. Yes, we spent hours locked up in one of LBS’s many meeting rooms debating on the finer points of statistical modelling, but also spent a memorable evening dining on chicken and wine. I speak nostalgically because I’m going to be assigned to a new study group next term. While I’ll miss my old study group, I’m excited because I know I’m up for a whole new fascinating experience.

To be perfectly honest, I had no idea how much one could grow in such a short time. I’ve only spent 3 months here at LBS but the experience has been immensely transformative. I can’t wait to see what the second term will bring!

8 Responses to “My first impressions”

1. avatar Zac says:

First impressions are something that sticks with you, interesting to see the similarities with my first experience here in London, as well as where our views differed!

2. avatar ชุดตรวจ hiv ด้วยตัวเอง says:

Don’t worry Matthew: I’m posting more than ever at the moment. And I think I have a pretty good idea of how to avoid the spam hassles through captchas, text modifications, and inner peace.

3. avatar Kamar Set Anak says:

This article is very useful for me …. very suitable for future reference

4. avatar Rubio says:

LSB is a great place to learn. I am also planning apply MBA.

5. avatar Jonathan says:

Great article, enjoyed reading it! Thx

6. avatar permainan salon says:

Thank you for a wonderful article

7. avatar aser says:

good post, thanks

8. avatar sara says:

very good