I’m writing this post for the next year MiMs who are likely to search for the information on GIFTs (Global Immersion Field Trip) while applying to one of them (Yes, be ready to write essays for almost everything at LBS!).

For sure, the U.S. destinations will be the most desirable both among MiMs and MFAs, but I would like to give credit to the European trips and in particular to Milan/Munich GIFT. This 5-day trip themed “Supply Chain Management and Operations” embraced fascinating plant visits, unforgettable moments of friendship, one flight to Milan and a bunch of company merchandise.

It all started in Munich where we visited Knorr-Bremse Group and had a MAN Truck Tour. We then flew to Milan to meet the CEO of ITT Motion Technology and to talk with Magneti Marelli plant management about automation and luxury cars while watching state-of-the-art machinery in work.

2017-04-26 11.14.412017-04-26 11.14.36

To my mind, this trip was special, and here are three reasons for that:

1. During the GIFT, we were involved in the active learning process. Company visits during any trip imply business presentations which are usually informative, but in large quantities are hard to absorb. In Milan and Munich, we did not only talk to companies’ management and listened to the presentations but also could see how they applied certain principles, e.g. lean manufacturing, to the operations.

2. Sure, the automotive industry is sexy, and almost everybody dies to visit Ferrari. But what most people do not know is how many suppliers are behind one car. During the Milan and Munich trip, we visited both suppliers and manufacturers and could actually see the big picture behind a striking façade of fancy cars. I cannot stress enough how insightful it was, but believe me.

3. It was fun! Despite the busy schedule, we had enough time to explore Milan and Munich, go out and got to know each other better (With three streams, it is quite hard to make friends with everybody.)

Overall, I am more than glad about the choice of this GIFT. The Programme Office organised it at the highest level, and I am sure with the feedback from our batch, the next trip will be fantastic!